• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finishing Twisted Leaders
June 30, 2007, 11:47:55 AM
I've been asked by a few people lately about how to finish twisted leaders without a uni knot or weaving.

Here is the easiest and by far the most attractive way of finishing the leader (i did not develop this way of finishing the leader).

Thanks goes out to Che Carson who sent me some samples of leaders which also use this way of finishing the leader - it is most appreciated.

1. Find something heavy or fixed so that you can attach your swivel to - this is a must or it will be too difficult to finish the leader with slack. I have used a spare hook hanger to attach my swivel to.

2. Thread the swivel onto the end of the twisted leader (non-loop end) and attach to hook (or similar). Adjust length to suit (i.e. the amount of leader you have threaded through the swivel is roughly the same amount of bite leader you are beginning to construct).

3.  With one strand in each hand (bite leader strand and main twisted leader strand), begin to twist/twine together the strands i.e. one strand is moved up and over to the left of the other strand, with the other strand going down and beneth -repeat with tension. If it doesn't look uniform, you haven't done it correctly.

4. A completed twisted leader. Notice how uniform and neat the finish is. Apply nail knots, glue and heatshrink.

I hope you guys find this useful.

If you would like pictures and instructions of how to finish the leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader - don't hesitate to ask me ;)
Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:18:02 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Finishing Twisted Leaders
June 30, 2007, 11:56:25 AM
Luke,

Where do you get your heatshrink and how do you put that on..do use the special guns for it?

The only heatshrink I have used is the larger stuff to put over barrel sinkers for spinning...

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 11:59:19 AM
Luke,

Where do you get your heatshrink and how do you put that on..do use the special guns for it?

The only heatshrink I have used is the larger stuff to put over barrel sinkers for spinning...

Andrew,

I get mine from Jaycar at Taren Point.

Cheers,
Luke

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 12:09:05 PM
Andrew, any electrical store [all sizes] or Supa Cheap/BCF stores [a few sizes]

Luke, any chance of some pics on your nail knot / twisty finish, I'm 75% there, 'I think'.
  Greg
Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:14:56 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Che Carson

June 30, 2007, 04:17:54 PM
Luke,

The force is obviously strong in you. I am glad to see my samples were of some use to you. Not a bad replication at all. You may one day be a Jedi as well. ;D

Che

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 04:30:22 PM
Luke,

The force is obviously strong in you. I am glad to see my samples were of some use to you. Not a bad replication at all. You may one day be a Jedi as well. ;D

Che

Your samples really set the benchmark Che :) Thanks for sharing them :D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 06:02:38 PM
Luke, regarding the nail knot finish, is it like these pics, you also say knots [plural], is it one knot after another or one on each strand? I'm interested in the finished product but can't picture it. Have you got any pics without the heat shrink? :-\
 Thanks mate, sorry about the hassle! We Padawans need all the help we can get. ::) ;D

Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 06:16:34 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 06:27:13 PM
Luke, regarding the nail knot finish, is it like these pics, you also say knots [plural], is it one knot after another or one on each strand? I'm interested in the finished product but can't picture it. Have you got any pics without the heat shrink? :-\
 Thanks mate, sorry about the hassle! We Padawans need all the help we can get. ::) ;D

Hi Greg,

Yes, it is like in the pictures. The knot is formed over all four strands - pull as tight as possible with pliers. It has to bite - you really can't pull too tight. I like to have the knots relatively close together spanning about 1.5 inches.

I'll post some pictures of what it looks like without heatshrink tomorrow or during the week.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 30, 2007, 06:41:21 PM
Whats the best way to heat heatshrink?

When I put it over barrel sinkers it doesnt matter as the heat wont damage the sinker, but the way I do it wont work on leaders.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 01, 2007, 12:37:58 AM
Just make sure you don't get the heat gun too close to the leader Andrew.

Thanks for the pics luke, looks like a great way to finish the leader :)

Just one question, how do you stop the bite leader twists from unraveling while you're completing the nail knot/s?
Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:40:28 AM by Jay Burgess

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 01, 2007, 01:02:22 PM
Luke, I think I may be barking up the wrong tree completely after reading something yourself and Brandon and put in other posts, ["I'd suggest you actually finish it with some braid using a nail knot with the braid. You can then add a touch of super glue to the braid to finish it off"], my thinking was you were making the nail knot with the strands of twisted leader not with braid over the leader. :-\
 Please straighten me out, forgive me Che I am only an Youngling ::) ;)
Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:47:16 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 02:20:16 PM
Whats the best way to heat heatshrink?

When I put it over barrel sinkers it doesnt matter as the heat wont damage the sinker, but the way I do it wont work on leaders.

Andrew,

I'm not sure if it is the best way, but i use a high powered hair dryer.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 02:23:05 PM
Just make sure you don't get the heat gun too close to the leader Andrew.

Thanks for the pics luke, looks like a great way to finish the leader :)

Just one question, how do you stop the bite leader twists from unraveling while you're completing the nail knot/s?

Sometimes i use quick knot (double overhand etc) or a large and heavy alligator clip just to secure.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 02, 2007, 02:25:58 PM
Luke, I think I may be barking up the wrong tree completely after reading something yourself and Brandon and put in other posts, ["I'd suggest you actually finish it with some braid using a nail knot with the braid. You can then add a touch of super glue to the braid to finish it off"], my thinking was you were making the nail knot with the strands of twisted leader not with braid over the leader. :-\
 Please straighten me out, forgive me Che I am only an Youngling ::) ;)

Hi Greg,

Use some 80/100lb braid not the twisted leader itself ;)

GIANTTREVALLY

March 04, 2008, 09:36:19 AM
I've been asked by a few people lately about how to finish twisted leaders without a uni knot or weaving.

Here is the easiest and by far the most attractive way of finishing the leader (i did not develop this way of finishing the leader).

Thanks goes out to Che Carson who sent me some samples of leaders which also use this way of finishing the leader - it is most appreciated.

1. Find something heavy or fixed so that you can attach your swivel to - this is a must or it will be too difficult to finish the leader with slack. I have used a spare hook hanger to attach my swivel to.

2. Thread the swivel onto the end of the twisted leader (non-loop end) and attach to hook (or similar). Adjust length to suit (i.e. the amount of leader you have threaded through the swivel is roughly the same amount of bite leader you are beginning to construct).

3.  With one strand in each hand (bite leader strand and main twisted leader strand), begin to twist/twine together the strands i.e. one strand is moved up and over to the left of the other strand, with the other strand going down and beneth -repeat with tension. If it doesn't look uniform, you haven't done it correctly.

4. A completed twisted leader. Notice how uniform and neat the finish is. Apply nail knots, glue and heatshrink.

I hope you guys find this useful.

If you would like pictures and instructions of how to finish the leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader - don't hesitate to ask me ;)

on the bottow picture where the bite leader is It says to apply nail not. can someone post how to do that connection.  Luke would you be able to email me pictures and instruction on how to finish the leader by braiding/weaving or by applying a single strand shock leader. thanks.