Brett Carter

Wire
December 21, 2007, 09:37:53 AM
Whats the best wire to buy to make up some bite leaders incase i run into a heap of toothy critters when GT fishing up north. Also do just use single stand?

Cheers,

Brett.

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wire
December 21, 2007, 10:31:05 AM
aaron will have the answer for that  cos i have seen him use them ... 

and also going to pop over to him to say hi ... and make some for me ..  ::)

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 21, 2007, 08:30:32 PM
Have a think about whether you really need wire.  I never use wire (even when trolling bibbed minnows for spaniards) and I've only been bitten off once this year.  A while ago I  hooked a big GT using heavy single strand wire and lost the fish when the wire broke!  My guess is that the constant headshakes were enough to weaken the wire to the point where it broke. 

steve

Cairns Bommie Basher

Brett Carter

December 22, 2007, 08:40:23 AM
Ok stephen thanks for the advice mate. I didn't really want to run wire at all but was just worried about losing lures and fish due to toothies when i've put so much time and effort into rigging preperation for my trip. Might just make a couple of wires to have with me just incase thing get bad

Cheers,

Brett.

AustralianAngling

December 28, 2007, 01:28:14 PM
We always use wire about 20cm 040 gal wire (400lb).
Does not affect catch rate.
Saves us many lures every year from the toothy critters.
Would fish on average 60 days a year for GT.

Aaron Concord

December 28, 2007, 05:32:19 PM
I'm a fan of single strand....it's thin, hardly visible and prevents Mega GT's from pinching mono apart with their teeth or jaw pressure.
Haven't used 040 Gal like Steve though I do use 120-150lb single strand...even hawk-eyed yellowfin eat the stick baits n poppers with this attached!!!
I feel more confident when it's a big GT location to have 45cm of single strand wire as a GT mouth guard!!
There was a pic of Tim Baker I saw of the first 60+kg NOMAD got...he's got his arm up to his shoulder inside the GT's gob retrieving the swallowed lure...thankfully teflon bread boards make great GT mouth spreaders!!!
If a guy who is 6'3 needs to put his arm that far down, how bad do you want to stop a GT from biting you off on heavy drag?????
For me, it's 45cm of wire backed up with a 150lb twisted wind on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 06, 2008, 10:14:32 PM
I never use wire when trolling for spaniards and hardly ever get bitten off but if it does happen I can handle losing a $25 bibbed minnow.

$100 GT lures on the other hand are another story so I'd consider it depending on whether it affected hookup rate.