Sam Holloway

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all,

Trip report from Southern Oman - Khuriya Muriya Islands, Feb 8th, 9th and 10th 2013 with Ocean Active - www.oceanactive.com

I started my journey in UK, flying down to Dubai. Met Trevor at the airport who was putting me up for the night.
Early start the next morning, we left Dubai at 5am to make the long 10hr trip to just shy of Ash Shuwaymiyah on the south coast of Oman.

Last minute gear sort. New additions this time were 2 Adhek poppers - a Buffalo C and a Ghecko 150.

Travelling down in style in Trevor's mighty A5.

Arrival in Southern Oman, where we met Cameron from OceanActive and Kareem who runs the villa and logistics on the island. A 1hr+ boat transfer out to Al-Hallaniyah Island and our first glimpse of Al-Hallaniyah Island. Stunning.

The compound. Accommodation and surrounds.

Pretty soon it was everyone's favourite time : tackle-time!
200lb leader was minimum, Cameron taking time to look over all our gear and make sure it was ready.

Day 1 : Al-Qibliyah Islands and surrounds.

Up at 5am and on the water by 5:30. Everyone was eager to get a line in. The guys hadn't seen a GT for a couple months down there, so we didn't know if we were going to see any beasts on our trip. Bad weather and cold water had meant a lull in the big fish. So, anything GT related was going to be a bonus.

We headed west over to Al-Qibliyah Island and a started popping an outer reef.

Before long, BOOM i was in. The take was really mellow. The fish casually taking the lure from under the surface. No breach at all really. Cameron called 'Bonito' (HaHAHAHA) - but with the slack taken up the fish revealed itself to be a fair monster GT and the fight began.

My setup was an 8'6" ATC - Popping GT / 10000sw / 80lb PowerPro Smooth / Adheck Black Buffalo Pop C

107cm GT. Estimated around 30kg. My biggest ever. I was frothing at the gills - no pun intended :)

We did a few more drifts and BANG i was on again, few seconds into the fight and i popped it. No idea what happened, until i reeled in to find the back of my BRAND NEW Adheck Buffalo had snapped at the internal wiring connection on the rear treble. Not happy Adhek.

Trev lent me a Cubera 180 in red, and off i was again. A HUGE strike this time and a 115cm model coming up. Awesome fight, my back has just forgiven me.

By mid morning the fish had gone off the bite it seemed. We went back to camp for lunch and headed back out for some jigging. All were soon catching a mixed bag and having a ball. On the way back to camp we saw a sailfish jumping, right out the front of the marina! Amazing sight in the afternoon sun!

Back on land, a beautiful dinner of sashimi and curries. Bloody great.

Day 2 : Al Sawda Island and surrounds...

Heading out even earlier, we went to another outer reef thinking the fish would be on the bite again early.

Lots of drifts and casts later, nothing was raised -apart from Cameron picking up this Black tip on Trevor's Airocast / 5000sw setup. He was jigging a small dropshot off the back and it gave him a fair fight!

Not much more to report for the rest of day 2. Some jigging and a whole lot of small tuna and snapper were caught for dinner. We also bumped into a huge pod of dolphins in a sardine feeding frenzy. Saud our skipper got us right in amongst it. The most amazing bust up ive been witness to. A whale was briefly seen amongst it also.

Back to camp and another lovely dinner. The next bunch of fishermen came down and we all settled into a great night of fishing chat, tall tales and general anticipation-raising banter.

Day 3 : Back to Al-Qibliyah Island....

Leaving early we went back to the original reef from day 1.

Popped all morning and couldn't raise anything. It was unspoken, but everyone was a little let down. We were really hoping to get another fish in the boat on our final day.... After catching 2 myself on day 1, and Trevor having caught a few on other trips, both of us were secretly hoping that Geir was going to get onto one. He had been on a few other trips and had yet to hook his first GT....

We packed up and headed into the islands to cast inshore. Not much turned up. Massive schools of fussilia and milkfish were about. An absolute aquarium. After a bite to eat on board we headed out to some jigging marks, Suad's tagline of 'NO GUARANTEE' making us laugh. We got onto a few good fish and ended up chasing a school of dolphins and longtail tuna, managing to snag one.

With our last few hours on the boat counting down, we decided to head back to the outer reef and give the monsters one last try.

Geir (having a few frustrations with an aftermarket spool and nearly throwing the lot overboard) headed up the bow and resumed popping with his Hots GT77XH / Stella 18000 / PowerPro PE8 with a shiny new pink Cubera 180.

An hour or so of casting later, the sun heading for the horizon, on his last pop of the retrieve -about 10ft from the boat....BOOOOOM and he was onto a MASSIVE fish.

Lines in quick, Saud starting up the boat, i grabbed the camera and Trevor grabbed Geir -who was hanging on for dear life to a monster that was taking line rather violently. The take was incredible so close to the boat, and we all knew he was onto a big fish.

I'll let Geir take it from here :

"...the third day also started a bit slow but turned out to be one of the most exciting days in my whole fishing experience by catching a 137 cm GT. I want to specially thank Trevor for assisting me and for pushing me in the last minutes of the fight when I hardly had any power left, I don't think I could have done it alone, thanks a lot Trevor. This was my first GT and I know it is going to be very hard for me to match this one but I would love to come back again and try :)"

We collected ourselves, Geir collapsed with a huge smile, and we headed inshore for a few more afternoon casts before returning back to base.

A fantastic trip. Even for a what was a quick 3 day trip, it was epic. One of the most beautiful places i have been to, and undoughtedly the best operation i have ever fished with. Kareem and his staff at the villa are exceptional. I felt ridiculously spoilt, the food was amazing and plentiful plus the company was fantastic.

A big thanks to Cameron and Saud for all their help. I personally learnt a hell of a lot from my fellow anglers and our guide, Cameron. Worth every penny.

One more thankyou goes out to Jon, Charmaine and Nick back at Ocean Active - www.oceanactive.com HQ for putting together a seamless trip.

I will be back!

Final sunset over Hallaniyah Island.

Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:57:49 AM by Sam Holloway

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
It's a very special place.

Great report Sam, makes me wish I was back there....hey, that's right, I will be in 2 1/2 weeks this time for 8 days fishing!! :)

That picture of Geir and the GT on the deck is fantastic. The smile on Geir's face was priceless and I can vouch that both fish and angler were absolutely knackered and I can also confirm that both made a splendid recovery subsequently. It's always a pleasure to fish with guys who respect the place, respect the fish and keep putting the casts in even when the GT fishing is tough.

Cameron and Saud, as usual the skippering was superlative. Nick and Jono, goes without saying, thanks.

Regards,

Trevor   

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
When I saw the title of this report, I was thinking "where the hell is that"?  Then it clicked ... hehe.... Khuriya Muriya and Hallaniyat... same place.

Well done guys for persevering and getting some results when the fishing was clearly very quiet. As Trevor said, never stop putting in the casts.

Matt Born

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Awesome Pics!! and great report!!

looks like you guys had a great time.

congrats to all!

Jon Viney

• Fusilier
  • Fishing is a way of life!
  • Liked:
Nice work guys. Glad to see some nice size GT's coming out.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Sam, great report and pics! Very chuffed you guys caught some fish and Geir got a big one after a lot of time and effort, as the saying goes never stop casting!!

Cheers,
Nick

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Hi Sam I glad you enjoyed the trip it was a blast having you guys on the boat I hope you include us in your plans for your next world fishing tour!