Fraser Simpson

Hinchinbrook trip
March 03, 2009, 10:21:24 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a trip on the reefs out from Cardwell/Hinchinbrook/Lucinda on the build up to the full moon on 10th April in my new wheelie bin (Thanks Stephen for the comment on my Polycraft in the Red Bass post 25/02.) My brother is visiting from the UK and I want to check out the area.

I have heard good things about the area but have never actually been. Mates at work mention Britomart/Otter/Kennedy areas as good options, but I was wondering if anyone out there has more specific local knowledge? GT's are the main target but a strong backup will be trout and Macks, depending on what's chewing and when.
I have 6 days in the area and plan on a couple of 36-48 hr trips (Ex-army/crazy)so boat travel time is not much of an issue.

Look forward to any replies.
Thanks,

SIMMO

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hinchinbrook trip
March 03, 2009, 08:35:45 PM
Simmo, check out otter for popping there are heaps of good grounds with water to 10m sandy bottom and littered with bommies. anywhere on the northern side will produce just look for the scared fusiler schools.
Bottom bashing is pretty good around there too in the deeper water, also check out kennedy shoals (i think it is) near otter for table fish.
Cheers and good luck ;)

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 03, 2009, 09:34:08 PM
Simmo, like Warwick said the northern edges of Otter's shallow reef are where the fusiliers are usually schooled up. Find these and you should be in with an excellent chance of hooking up. Some days they seem to like stickbaits, other days bloopers so it could be worth mixing it up a bit. If it blows and you can't make it to the reef there are numerous inshore islands (Palm group, Wheeler, Mona, Gould etc.) that all hold fish at certain times although the strikes can be much harder to come by than out the reef. I have not fished Britomart as it is quite a long run from Cardwell but from what I have heard from the reef fishos the place would certainly hold good numbers of fish.

Fraser Simpson

March 04, 2009, 08:33:51 AM
Warwick and Jordan,

Cheers guys. Thanks for the advice. It's always comforting having an area to start with, rather than just prospecting. My usual trip is similar in Cairns - educated guess as to where the fusiliers are, then (Hopefully) start on the weight lifting!

I'll post a trip report when I get back, and will leave out names of specific areas so you local guys get to keep hold of the secret a bit longer!

Thanks again

SIMMO

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 04, 2009, 08:50:45 AM
Fraser, myself and Warwicks very first ever GT popping trip was to Otter and we came away with a half dozen or so GT's.  The fusiliers are easy to find in the calm water, just look for the rippling.  Even when it's rough though you can here them psshhh the surface as they get schooled up and attacked. 

The one problem we sort of had I suppose was that the weather was TOO good when we went, the water was so clear that even sneaking up on them in a kayak we only got one cast before they spooked - so if the water is gin clear and calm a steady approach is best. 

I reckon the eastern point of Gould Island would be worth a go as well.  We didn't think to try it but thinking back it had a ledge that rose very steeply up to the point and had a strong current - try it on the way out to the reefs I reckon.

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 04, 2009, 09:45:03 PM
I have fished that eastern ledge off Gould quite a bit as it is the first likely looking spot from where i live. There are a few bommies just out from the tip also. Unfortunately I have only pulled two decent fish from the area and they both came within 10 minutes of each other. I will keep trying the spot as it looks too GTish to pass up

jay currie

March 04, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
Dont know if its any good to you but i have a load of gps points that were on my sounder when i bought it for the outer islands and reef around hinchinbrook

Fraser Simpson

March 05, 2009, 09:09:07 AM
Jay,

I would love some of those GPS marks if you don't mind. If you can find the time, please PM me with any likely areas.

Thanks again all who replied. I am now hoping to stay at the Hinchinbrook Island Wilderness Lodge which is right at the northern tip of the island so will half the trip to the reef areas, saving travel time and extending the range of the boat.

SIMMO

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
March 05, 2009, 09:50:58 PM

hey fraser sounds like you have a few options there but another one is eva rock
  which is not far from the wilderness lodge, fished there in september and got smoked
  half a dozen times by some decent fish only had 50lb braid so was a bit undergunned
  there is a big bombie on the outside of the rock which looked good but we never saw
  a fish there

cheers john