Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ocea Jigger V Trinidad
September 11, 2009, 07:52:43 PM
Gday all,

Looking at purchasing a 5000 OJ. Wondering what the difference is between that and the Trini 40? is it the drag? components?

Also what is the size comparison with the 5000OJ and Trini 40?

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Ocea Jigger V Trinidad
September 12, 2009, 05:54:11 AM
Ocea Jigger 5000 is bigger than the Trinidad T40n and comes in 2 ratios. Gunmetal colour has lower ratio and gold has higher. Jiggers also have a spool lock mechanism that allows you to go "no line out". The Jigger does not have a clicker like the Trinidad so if  dual purpose semi trolling outfit is your thing than the Trinidad is a safer bet. In my discussions about the very same topic I am led to believe that the Jigger is a better reel and more durable. You do not hear about the Jiggers failing very often. If you hve to go Shimano I would say go Jigger. Put some leads out though because I believe a new Jigger is about to be released. I have a 5000P Jigger and so far it has been great.

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 12, 2009, 11:51:59 AM
Would a 4000/P be similar to the Trini 40?

How do you do with the low gear? what is the retrieval rate? As i will be jiggin 200m+ i want the quickest retrieve per crank (1m+)

Cheers,
Sam
Cheers,
Sam

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 19, 2009, 04:31:53 PM
I got the chance to handle the Trinidad 40N and OJ's in malaysia recently. The OJ5000's and 4000's are same diametres as the 40N. The OJ5000 is wider spooled (important if line capacity is an issue)- the OJ4000 is the equivalent of the 40N.

I came pretty close to buying an OJ4000P and did a fair bit of research at the time.

drag: Plat sent me the exploded diagrams of the 40N and the OJ4000 and there appeared to be no design differences between them. But the OJ's seem to be credited with better drags so I'd say washer material/quality varies between the two. You could always carbontex the 40N and add the erskine/jigstar top washer mod to compensate I suppose.

ratios: The OJ4000/5000 and Trinidad 40N have 4.9:1 and 112cm per turn (plat).The OJ4000P/5000P's (silver) have 4.1:1 and 92cm per turn. It is this ratio that is pretty universally seen as the best for jigging. I've used the 40N and felt it to be a bit too fast for the one lift - one wind rythm and pretty tiresome. I sometimes wonder if that isn't better in certain situations. ie if your using the narrower reels with 4:1 ratio and have 200m out, then your actual retrieve at the lure is going to be pretty damn slow .

design: The OJ's don't have the spool click which could be a livebaiting issue for you. You could put the 40N sideplate on an OJ but then you'd probably also have to swap out its nice machined spool for the more rustic trinidad one. The OJ handle shits all over the basic trinidad one. If I was leaning towards the higher ratio reels then I would only do it with the longer ergonomic OJ handle.

If you want to stick with a narrower spooled reel, weren't fussed about going to a higher ratio and want to save some dollars then a compromise might be the 40N with drag upgrades and the OJ handle. It would perform on par with an OJ4000, still probably cost less than a stock OJ, and you'll still have a spool clicker.

If line capacity is an issue though then there is only one way to go. The OJ5000's. Using the OJ5000P might be the go then, since you won't loose as much spool diameter (and retrieve speed) at depth with the wider spooled reel.

I held off on getting one on;y because I heard about the JM lever drags. Then I saw their price tag.

anyway - food for thought.

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 20, 2009, 01:30:16 PM
Thanks for that Sam.

Im still up in the air on what to get, at the moment its a OJ4000P.

Have been looking at the new JM PE4/5 reels..but haven't fished with one

Wish i could find a L120...
Cheers,
Sam

Lars Ohlen

September 21, 2009, 07:00:57 AM
I'm also searching for a new jigging reel. Of the three alternatives I've come up with the Trinidad 40N and the Ocea Jigger 4000/5000P are two. But right now I'm leaning towards the third option, an Alutecnos Gorilla 12. But the OJ 5000P looks good too.