Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
matava Resort Kadavu Fiji 18th dec 23rd dec 2009
December 26, 2009, 11:31:30 AM
We arrived at Matava after somewhat of a nightmare travel experience caused by Cyclone Mick. I wont bore you with the details but we lost a day in travel and the 2 game boats 'Bite Me' and brand new popping boat 'Tease Me' were both stuck in Suva and would not be arriving until the last day of our trip.

Once we arrived at the resort all our fears and concerns were promptly addressed by Richard one of the owners. Richard explained that due to the Cyclone situation we would not be able to fish the game boats but he could provide us with a long boat and driver whilst we wait for the other boats to arrive. (We ended up changing our flights for a couple of days later so we can experience the new popper boat and do the Sea Reef)

The Matava resort is an eco resort and the experience is one i will never forget. We had come for the fishing and the fishing alone. At first i didn't really want to meet knew people or feel like a traveller again, i just wanted to get stuck into the GT's. After all, that is all we had been thinking about for the last few months leading up to the trip. But, there is something about the Matava experience that draws you in!

We quickly got to know the other guests and owners. Everyone eats together each evening and the table makes for some interesting conversations and banter. The staff are generally made up of people from the local village and they are some of the most genuine, kind and peaceful people i've met. The food is a mix of local produce and of east and west influence. The balance is right and food is tasty!

The Great Astrolabe Reef is 5-10 minute trip from your bedroom door and that is where the GT's are! The reef is solid in structure with very few broken bits for a GT to break you off on. This allowed us to run short leaders and keep everything outside the guides. We lost one popper to an unstoppable, but other that that kept all our gear.

Adrian our skipper let us use some prototype poppers he has been asked to test, and the darker colored one's seem to work best. One of mine did get destroyed but that was after is had landed many GT's.

The fishing was great and by far exceeded our expectations. We felt like we had got the Jewel in the crown. The spot that no one else knows about! We know its not true of course and Matava is highly rated, but seriously how good is it!

We caught fish from ranging from 5kg's up to 40kg's. There are lots of big one's and a few monsters. I keep thinking about my unstoppable and wondering what that would of looked like. But hey there is always next year!

The other great thing about this trip was that i didn't have to adjust my home loan to pay for it. It goes down for me as one of the best experiences i've had and one that i will be looking to repeat. Same again please!

Going to post photos - just gotta shrink em first

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Here are some Photo's

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
And some more

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Nice one Sam - looks like great post-cyclone weather.  That bottom fish is a cracker.  As for the proto lures - looks like they could do with some toughening up hey?

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Geez not sure i want to tangle with a 40kg+ from a longboat, I would end up in the drink for sure

glad to hear they sorted it out for you Sam sounds like a good trip

do you think I am more than a little excited for my trip to Matava for 5 days fishing starting 11 Jan?!?

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
awesome with some great and cracker fish caught.

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice one Sam - looks like great post-cyclone weather.  That bottom fish is a cracker.  As for the proto lures - looks like they could do with some toughening up hey?

I have to say Trav i was impressed with the prototypes. We took a few over and the best performer believe it or not was the River2Sea dumbell - we upgraded the hooks and split rings. Dave used the same one for 4 days straight and it looked pretty shabby but still managed to get the big fish.

Were noobs to the GT world but are now totally hooked. We didn't want to go to nuts over the gear but i did pay $40 for a couple of poppers from Tackle world that were i guess imitation Hammerhead poppers - The paint came off straight away just with the hooks rubbing against the popper.

But that one that got busted up i think will retail for approx $40 and i would pay that. When Adrian gave it to me it had already been hammered many times but he said it's a good colour so i used it. I was impressed with the paint job - a few coats and very thick. Also relatively easy to work.

Scott - man i'm envious already - you are gonna have a ball.

I've always had high expectations before a fishing trip, and if I'm honest i've always been a little disappointed with most trips, but with that location, Adrian and the crew/experience at Matava - they really exceeded my expectations.  I know what i'm gonna get there and don't need to look anywhere else.

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Sam,

if it is ok of me asking as i am just wondering,

on this trip did you all use just poppers,    or    poppers and stickbaits?

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Nice work man,some good fish there !! ;)

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice work man,some good fish there !! ;)

Hi Sam,

We did take a couple of stick baits, but did only used Poppers. Adrian said the stick baits don't go so well so we didn't bother.

We also took some knife jigs too but didn't do any jigging. One of the divers took a picture of a good size Doggie in about 30 meters of water, so i think jigging would also be a good option too. I would of done some, but chose trolling rather than jigging just to give my arms a rest.

David Heinz

Great trip and photos Sam
The Buffalo poppers are hardly prototypes or innovative and a bit cheeky calling them that mate.
Just another series of ripoffs based on GT2's & GT3's. There crap and would buy a Jai or Nomad
over them any day.
Made in Vietnam buy guys that haven't even seen the ocean
let alone have never caught a fish.
Dave
Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 03:41:40 PM by David Heinz

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
The Buffalo poppers are hardly prototypes or innovative and a bit cheeky calling them that mate.
Just another series of ripoffs based on GT2's & GT3's. There crap and would buy a Jai or Nomad
over them any day.
Dave

No worries Dave, don't shoot the messenger.

As i understand the guy producing them has worked in a factory producing other poppers and is now making a go of it himself. My understanding is the testing is being done now by at least Adrian to prove or disprove whether they catch or not and how durable they are. I guess at least he is doing that level of research.

If the GT's are biting you could throw anything at them and they will go for it, but i did like the paint he uses because it stayed on at least.

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Congratulation!
you tasted Matava's best,
glad that you made the trip, nothing else to add to the service that Matava provide, from the cook to captain Adrian to Richard's, top notch resort with a lot of good size GT,
i was planning a trip on the same date as your trip but due to a shortage of 1 Anglers we call did off,
i assume you didn't jig the sea mountain?
definitely be back

chris stallan

over them any day.
Dave

No worries Dave, don't shoot the messenger.

As i understand the guy producing them has worked in a factory producing other poppers and is now making a go of it himself. My understanding is the testing is being done now by at least Adrian to prove or disprove whether they catch or not and how durable they are. I guess at least he is doing that level of research.

If the GT's are biting you could throw anything at them and they will go for it, but i did like the paint he uses because it stayed on at least.

i'am yet to see a lure that catch's fish everyday of the week where the  paint will stay on...

Dave Foyle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Nice one Sam - congratulations.

Matava definitely gets under the skin. Would love to get back there - keep me posted Sami !!