Brodie Cumins

What combo are you currently using?
June 12, 2010, 11:34:10 AM
Thought this maybe a good idea to see who's using what and how they find it?

Im using a Saltiga GT6000 with a Calstar GF800H.

Its my first popping combo so dont have too much to compare it to, dont know if its just the rod or the poppers but its pretty brutal on body.

Whats every one else using?

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What combo are you currently using?
June 13, 2010, 01:01:51 PM
First one i can think off thats my Favourite is the Ripple Fisher GT79H PE 12 stick with a SW Stella 18000 with 130lb Vairvas..Got a few to mention but this is a brutal stick also,Great for the lower back...Not   :'(

Dave Chan

June 19, 2010, 11:43:15 AM
with my small knowledge, PE12 rod is maybe not something everyone can fish with (maybe only for expert like nath - sorry i'm new to forum but by reading previous post you sounds like one of most experienced angler on this forum) i think it will break average angler in to half ;D - don't know  maybe more knowledgeable people will correct me later on :)

is pe8 all round rod the go - something like ripple fisher 79r or carpenter cv79/40?

Marc Towers

June 19, 2010, 02:03:39 PM

I use a Ripple Fisher 79R coupled with a Saltiga Maverick 6500 fishing 100lb Varivas SMP; happy with the combo - it is plenty strong enough a rod for me ( couldn't break it on a 220 kilo marlin, despite putting inordinate amounts of strain on it ;)), but then again I dont fish XL poppers, just more modest Dumbells, Cubera's etc.

I actually really like the Zenaq 83-5 and 83-7 rods...like the added length..will be next purchase i think..

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 20, 2010, 01:27:31 PM
You're pretty much actually right on the mark, Dave. I'm not convinced at all that there actually are too many guys at all that can fish PE12 effectively. The other big problem is casting - it's like using bloody rope and you lose a heap of distance with it.

Actually, there aren't that many real PE12 rods on the market. A couple of manufacturers label their rods as 12 but 10 is about their real limit. Ripple's only real PE12 offering is the 78XH, a bloody mongrel beast of thing. The 79H is more a PE10 rod. Fisherman actually don't make a PE12 rod - their two heaviest popping rods - the R10 and BG Jack are labelled as PE10 rods but they make a few of the so-called PE12 offerings look like noodles sticks.

if you hook a 50kg GT in the type of location where you get wasted in seconds on PE8, it will do the same to you if you're using PE8 or PE20.

with my small knowledge, PE12 rod is maybe not something everyone can fish with (maybe only for expert like nath - sorry i'm new to forum but by reading previous post you sounds like one of most experienced angler on this forum) i think it will break average angler in to half ;D - don't know  maybe more knowledgeable people will correct me later on :)

is pe8 all round rod the go - something like ripple fisher 79r or carpenter cv79/40?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 20, 2010, 03:39:34 PM
Oh dear....

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 20, 2010, 03:47:52 PM

Hi Dave,

Really depends on where (terrain, long-cast, short cast etc), how (technique, preferred line rating, lure style, lure retrieve method etc) and what you want to fish for (species is a given, but general size range)...

Dave Chan

June 23, 2010, 02:52:34 PM
brandon and luke, thanks for great advise.

Brodie Cumins

July 01, 2010, 12:10:30 PM
Just scored a Jigging Master GT Monster 78 sweet stick. Any one using one?

Michael Gordon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 01, 2010, 01:04:35 PM
Used one of those paired up with a Stella 18000SW & 100LB Suffix braid in New Caledonia at the beginning of May to good effect.Landed my first two Gts with it that were estimated at 40&45Kg by our guide.A very under-rated rod that can usually be picked up for a good price.

Ben Earl

July 11, 2010, 05:32:07 PM
I'm using an upgraded (Fisherman handle/knob and upgraded bearings) Stella 16000 GT, spooled with Varivas PE 8 and 170lb leader, attached to a Varivas prototype PE 8 popping rod. SO far its pretty sweet and well balanced  :D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 19, 2010, 04:31:03 PM
I just broke in my latest weapon on Saturday, Dubbed the "Green Talon" its a Kaiser KS78-8GT blank that I built up as a pe8 stickbait rod and on her maiden flight she sunk claws into 2 GT of 15 and 18kg.
My reel is a Stella 10k with a SW 20k PG spool.
These are the pics I have and I should get better ones next week from a mates camera.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2010, 05:00:18 PM
Patriot Design GTZ Plat 84 with a Twinpower SWA 10000 loaded with Varivas SuperMax PE8.

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2010, 06:15:07 PM
Komodo Dragon and Saltiga Dogfight Pe10 Varivas &
Shimano Kaibutsu Surface Monster with Shimano Saragosa 18k with Pe8 Varivas.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2010, 06:46:15 PM
Komodo Dragon and Saltiga Dogfight Pe10 Varivas &
Shimano Kaibutsu Surface Monster with Shimano Saragosa 18k with Pe8 Varivas.

Interesting Jarrad. I have a Surface Monster as back up rod as well and it is a more than decent weapon  8).  How do you go with a Saragosa 18000? Do you not find it too slow?