Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
We've had this discussion/debate on precious occasions and this trip was no exception. Both Malcolm and myself copped stick from the Nomad boys every time we dropped a fish on a treble. That said, they were very quiet everytime a fish was lost when it was hooked on a single!

After all this time, I have yet to resolve a position one way or the other. I am , however, coming to the view that a single rigged with an assist cord may be the way to go off the back of the lure and that for the belly, I will either run a treble or a baker rig. I notice that the baker really has caught on with Nomad and they seem to run this a lot off the belly. the only weakness with the Baker is a tendency for the hooks to roll around. This may be able to be countered by using some tying the hooks together with some wire twist.

I was running big Shout assist hooks on my Orion flapper and hookups felt very sure indeed. I did not drop a fish with this set-up on the trip but I only used it sparingly as the flapper is only good in certain conditions.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Neil Griffiths

An intertesting thing happened at Marion last year that goes some way to solving this riddle. All my sticks were rigged with trebles, this drew some flack from the deckies who have much belief in singles. So one day I decided to rig with singles and give it a go. There was a period that day when I had four solid strikes in a row from big fish, none of which hooked up, I was muttering about singles and Scott the deckie was also losing his confidence in them. The next day I'm back on trebles and exactly the same thing happens, four fish lost on trebles with all and sundry asking questions!!
What does it all mean?
Some fish will get away no matter how you're rigged, sometimes in multiple numbers, this is just how it is. Wouldn't it get boring if all fish where landed?
Do what you do with confidence, as a firm belief that what you are doing will work, is probably the number one thing that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I still use both but what it really now boils down to is the fact that singles suited to our purpoises are stronger than even the strongest trebles available. Although singles can be warped (not commonplace using the guages we use) they simply are on a different wavelength in regards to strength.

For now, i haven't had enough Recorders die on me to care that much - yet..... still experimenting with those combinations though (but Kiribati was disheartening when you only have trash biting!)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think you caught more fish in Kiribati than I caught in Vanuatu!!

I still use both but what it really now boils down to is the fact that singles suited to our purpoises are stronger than even the strongest trebles available. Although singles can be warped (not commonplace using the guages we use) they simply are on a different wavelength in regards to strength.

For now, i haven't had enough Recorders die on me to care that much - yet..... still experimenting with those combinations though (but Kiribati was disheartening when you only have trash biting!)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yes Brandon, but you can't catch fish indoors when it's cyclonic, with the fish still terrified from an earthquake and tidal wave in the area  :o, gee you have some exciting and 'Stormy' trips. ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
which bast@#d has been spreading my nickname around?!   >:(
I tell you, it isn't true. I'm sure I'm not the only one whose fishing trips gets wiped out by cyclones. It's only happened a couple of times......   ;D

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
I am a GT virgin so I'm trying to learn all I can before I get up close and personal with a big fish. I am used to using doubles rather than trebles under the belly of my poppers and a single hook at the rear when chasing kingfish. Is this style likely to translate OK to GT poppers?
All advice received gratefully

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Trev and welcome to the forum

I personally do not like doubles as I had horrible experiences with them when they used to come fixed on the old Rapalas (I think CD-26s). GT's made an absolute mess of these when I hooked them trolling. That said, one of our members here, Sachin Chaudry does like using doubles and has used them without problems. I'm not sure what brand he uses though.

I presonally prefer singles and trebles. Singles today are amazing and some of the trebles like the Gamakatsu Recorders and ST-76 Owners shuold stand up to most fish.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Here is a rigging video from Damon on rigging single and dbl/singles on stickbaits the 'Nomad' way, also check some of the other clips :o.
http://www.nomadsportfishing.com.au/nsa_tackle_shop_main.htm
Greg 'FFF' Burt