Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
3 day Townsville trip
September 23, 2010, 04:49:23 PM
Ever dreamed about planning a 3 day trip with perfect weather, dreams come true. With a week to go the weather was starting to come fine, but as we set sail we knew the weather was going to be great. It was that and some more. The tides wernt the best for GT's but nothing could beat the weather.

We launched the contender at around 5pm monday arvo, meet up with the 48 foot riveria in the marina and went through everything over a few cold beers and some pizza delivered to the docks. Ropped the contender of Rob Laspina Sports Fishing to the riveria of Northern Conquest Charters and headed out.

DAY 1-We arrived at our destination around 5am, anchor down and contender alongside loading it full of gear for the days fishing. The boys aboard the riveria couldnt wait to get a line wet, and within 5min already had some trout on board. Luke(soft cock), pete(kermit), Rob(Captain) and myself headed off to a near by reef for some casting. The sun was still at a terrible angle to be able to spot the reef underwater but that didnt matter as all around us bait was boiling up. Luke is on the board first with a nice Cod of around 10kg, I lost my first lure of the trip to a mid size G casting on the otherside of a bommie(it looked too good to pass). Managed to land some healthy looking 10-20kg Gs with in the first hour. The day was looking promising as the 5 knots of wind we had kept dropping. We were surrounded by football feilds of bait, cast after cast we were meet with fish/follows or striks. POW POW lukes on again, its silver, no its orange wait up its a HUGE red bass. 8.5kg @ 80cm to be exact, what a monster!!! cheers and yahoos could have been nearly heard back on land. We were on a mission to make this trip full of highlights, 1 down and more to come. Luke hooked what looked to be another monster red bass, 15kg of drag slowly inching off, bit back, but more off, this thing had some weight by the bend in the fisherman and the strain on lukes face, DAM shook the hook!! only to have a small scale on one of the decoys.. hmmm next time.  That day ended up slowing down, bait went deep and fish were enjoying shaddowing the lures. Landed a couple more 10-12kg G before we meet up with the riv for the night. Couldnt have asked for a better dinner, steak and veg(+beer) what more could a fisherman want after a long days fishing.

Day 2- After a terrific sleep we all woke up to a day better than day 1. There wasnt a ripple on the surface, couldnt get any calmer besides the slow small swell rolling in. Huge bait balls as were boiling up on 5-30m ledges, perfect one would say, but the bite seemed harder to find this morning, stickbaits on day 1 to pencil poppers today. Landed 3-4 Gs on spot one, Gs went quiet in the area so we moved on to the neighbour reef. not much action either, maybe too calm we suggest :-) FISH ON, drag screaming action all on 3kg of drag we thing, pete hooks up to what seems to be a large fish only by the line peeling off. The fish hooked pete as he asks captin to drive towards the fish, we are still unsure what happened to pete on this fish as it was all of about 10kg, poor lad was just worn out.  back to the riv for some well earnt lunch and half hour of relax. Back into it as the next reef we pulled up too had a nice ledge and bait ontop. 1 red bass, 2 ,3 and 4 good size fish were landed with in 50m of water. Northen End of this reef had bait schools as far as the eye could see, we pulled at least 1 fish off every school, nothing breaking the 20kg mark. A number of macs had been landed on stick baits so far but the best was yet to come, 15kg on drag and a good 30m first run with 2 incredibale jumps, yup luke was onto yet another monster, this time a 26kg mac on his 170g poofter pink big foot orion. Another highlight for the trip. We finished the day with afew more mid size barrier reef Gs.

Day 3- 160m of water + 400g jig = pain. well for most of us. With enough time to release the bail arm and have a drink and something to eat before hitting the bottom we all knew this would be interesting as the sounder was light up like a christmas tree. first drop and 160m of line later produced a nice 12kg dogtooth. couldnt wipe the smiles off our faces as we knew there was more to come, double and tripple hooks ups wernt uncommon as in a 4hour jig session we produced 20 odd nice fish. dogtooth from 8-20kg, yellowfin and a number of amber jack. Biggest going to the man himself luke, weighing in at 18kg. If you ever want to catch a highlight fish on a trip dont take this man as he will out do you day in day out.. but my grandma could beat him in a drinking game tho ;-) soft cock.

The weather started to change about 4pm thu, we ropped the contender back up and headed for home.

Like to say thanks to Rob Laspina(Rob Laspina Sports fishing) and Cliff(Northern Conquest Charters) for making this trip happen. With many more to come. BIGGER and better next time :-)

PoPpInG mAd

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: 3 day Townsville trip
September 23, 2010, 04:50:59 PM
and some more
PoPpInG mAd

Peter Agapiou

September 23, 2010, 05:11:27 PM
It was  side hooked  you  shit!,and iam 20years older but still kept up with you .how is it Luke ,is the star of the trip....?I know, he always gets first cast!!!!!!

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 23, 2010, 05:30:24 PM
HAHA it so wasnt side hooked- luke back me up here? i tried kicking him off the podium but you cut my popper off his line pete :-)
PoPpInG mAd

Peter Agapiou

September 23, 2010, 05:38:21 PM
Mate what about my street cred>>>>yes  i did cut your popper off to save Lukes fish,he is my mate !!

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 23, 2010, 05:42:38 PM
40yr GT stickbait fishing=street cred right there haha
PoPpInG mAd

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
September 23, 2010, 05:56:21 PM
Mate nice report,well done,been waiting for these pics to come up as i herd of some of the fish that were caught from luke....Nice fighting AJs.. ;)

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 23, 2010, 06:14:27 PM
Still got abit more research to do on these reefs in regards to BIG Gs this was the first trip to the area. some great amber jacks caught, afew got smoked on 80lb braid as well :-) bigger fish again id say
PoPpInG mAd

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 23, 2010, 07:17:20 PM
Sounds like a really exciting trip, can't wait to see how you guys go finding the bigger GT's :)

jarrodday

September 23, 2010, 08:30:07 PM
Looks like a great trip and cant for next week when we get to do it all again at Flinders and Holmes boys.........well done but I have a few questions....
I heard a rumor that Kermit had to be held in the boat like a baby???is that true pete....and how is your new handle going.....LOL

great trip boys well done see in the 5 days time....

Peter Agapiou

September 23, 2010, 09:33:25 PM
Luke likes to hold me,he is very protective .Yeh..good  that  SOM stuff  just can not handle the power of the poo.Who are going to give shit too on this trip?...be nice ...or i will not sent that new gt pendant,ask bob how many doggies he got ...LOL

Yaniv Adler

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 24, 2010, 11:00:52 AM
congrats guys nice report and pics !!!!!  ;)

John Campbell

• Fusilier
  • winner 2010 MC award Elusive GT tournament
  • Liked:
September 24, 2010, 11:13:59 AM

Nice work guys and great report

there is some great country out there so the big ones will be there somewhere, but its still good
to see the numbers are around

I heard a rumor that Kermit had to be held in the boat like a baby???is that true pete..

sounds like nothing has changed there Kermit !!!! ;D

good luck for your next trip  some big fish have been pulled from those 2 reef systems would be good to see a few pictures of some beasts

cheers John

Tom Grubb

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 24, 2010, 03:34:21 PM
jay- the big fellas are there, its getting past the smaller ones first.. huge population of GT's on the reef.

yeah jarrod, pete was nearly over board with his MONSTER gt haha. lucky luke likes holding pete from behind ;-) havnt you heard his new handle worked a treat, held on by some sort of rust looking stuff :-) will have to catch up with you guys while your up this way. and am looking forward to a ripper report, youll love the riveria, beautiful boat.
PoPpInG mAd