Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
To crimp or not to crimp ?
January 10, 2011, 03:13:53 PM
Hi All,

Just asking the question as for the best knot or method to tying your leaders to the swivel ? This is when you're using single strand leaders ?
Is crimping necessary and is it really stronger than a uni knot or an AG-chain knot ?

cheers,
Mario

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: To crimp or not to crimp ?
January 10, 2011, 03:41:31 PM
I use a 4 turn uni knot to swivel for stickbaits and have started using crimps for poppers with the single strand leader wound back along itself. So far no issues with either. You just got to be careful with crimping not to over crimp as it can seriously damage the leader and ping when under heavy drag settings.
AKA: Sunny

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 06:01:09 PM
my only advice on knots is that whatever you use, make sure you learn how to tie it well.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Brock Arifovic

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 07:45:39 PM
Same goes for crimps as well

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 09:08:55 PM
Alot of good info on crimping and how much damage and strength you get from different types on 360Tuna - basically boils down to aluminium crimps with a proper diameter to leader and learning how to do them perfectly ... basically if you can tie a knot perfectly and can crimp perfectly everytime with the correct tools they are about equal - down to personal preference ...

Dave Foyle showed me an alternative to the uni (as they compress and can snap over the swivel or hook) and it is basically a 4 turn nail knot ... hard as nails and rock solid too for joining swivels on the end of single strand leader - he could tie it up on upto 400lb I believe and still form a nice tidy strong knot ...

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 09:38:11 PM
ALex, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the uni knot can compress and snap back over the hook or swivel. Can you explain?

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 09:59:21 PM
For uni knot ,the knot gets really tight after a fish is caught especially after a big fish which put alot of pressure on the knot. So yes they can snap, if the knot gets too tight. You can always re-tie knot before your next cast.

Has anyone used the chain knot for popping? This knot is actually stronger than the uni, quite commonly used for jigging. It's basically alternative half hitches.

I'm noy too sure about crimping now, looks like I will stick to what I know best as you have suggested

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 10:13:15 PM
Kenji Konishi uses the chain knot to tie his leader to a loop in his bite leader.  I have trouble getting the half hitches to bite properly myself

For uni knot ,the knot gets really tight after a fish is caught especially after a big fish which put alot of pressure on the knot. So yes they can snap, if the knot gets too tight. You can always re-tie knot before your next cast.

Has anyone used the chain knot for popping? This knot is actually stronger than the uni, quite commonly used for jigging. It's basically alternative half hitches.

I'm noy too sure about crimping now, looks like I will stick to what I know best as you have suggested

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 11:19:32 PM
Pat Victorino showed me at Fantastic Knot at Elusive.

It was almost like a reverse blood knot......Very simply done by placing the mono through an eye and doubling back up...Pinch the two stands and
wrap downwards towards the eye three or four times and back through the loop......Pull tight.
The finish is very neat and seems very strong.

Can be tied in very heavy mono too......My preference is to not use crimps.

Pete

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 11:37:34 PM
I mainly use uni knots and I've never had one fail... and can comfortably tie one in the heaviest single strand I use (240lb fisherman super stealth). I've also used crimps a fair bit too, especially when using a reverse twisted bite leader. I have more confidence in a well tied uni over a crimp connection though.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 11, 2011, 02:03:10 AM
Sorry Brandon - yes thats what I meant!

Where the single strand goes over the swivel or hook wire the uni knot keeps tightening and can stretch and break ... as essentially nothing to stop it slipping and tightening under load ...

I can tie the nail knot by hand but difficult to describe it - hopefully Dave will see this thread and chime in ...

Again its down to preference and confidence ... if you can crimp / tie a knot in rolling swells and blistering spray in the face you are good to go!
Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:19:07 AM by Alex Jordan

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2011, 09:05:42 AM
thank you - I now understand what you are referring to.
I too have difficulty tying a nail knot or a nail knot hybrid with really heavy mono. I just can't get the loops to sit in place and behave in order to let me tie the knot.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2011, 09:09:00 AM
Pete - any chance you can illustrate this or provide a link to guide on how to tie this knot? I can't picture it.

Pat Victorino showed me at Fantastic Knot at Elusive.

It was almost like a reverse blood knot......Very simply done by placing the mono through an eye and doubling back up...Pinch the two stands and
wrap downwards towards the eye three or four times and back through the loop......Pull tight.
The finish is very neat and seems very strong.

Can be tied in very heavy mono too......My preference is to not use crimps.

Pete

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 11, 2011, 10:15:56 AM
I will test my drawing skills shortly...

Pete

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 11, 2011, 10:37:09 PM
Never ever heard of a properly tied and seated Uni knot slippign, cracking, buckling, splitting in my life - and am actually dumbfounded it's being questioned!

Crimping is pretty simple and straightforward skill to learn. I crimp anything over 250lb.

Roll knots are great, but you need to keep the loops small, tight and under hand pressure so that they don't spring out whilst making the knot. I use this knot when I don't want to use crimps but may want to join a bite leader to shock leader.