Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE4/5 casting rod - looking for recommendations
February 06, 2011, 11:30:17 PM
I have a gaping hole in my armoury for PE3-5 range casting rod.  Key use would be lighter popping and casting stickbaits for Tuna, MahiMahi, Sails and I hope Kingfish one day.  The stickbait element is more important to me but I would hope for the rod to handle poppers up to 100 grams.  I guess it would be paired with either a (soon to be acquired) Saltiga 5000H or an existing Twinpower SW8000 HG

Any recommendations from personal experience would be really appreciated. I like longer rods so nothing shorter than 7 ft 8.

Al Morrison

Mark, I have such a beast, but i am not sure if it is still made. I bought a second hand Tenryu 20-30lb "plugging rod" from Mike Tan in Singapore about 5 yrs ago. its 9ft 6 inches and casts 100g pencil poppers (long pens, surface cruisers etc) like a rocket. I'm not a particulary good caster but with the wind behind me and casting downhill I've hit 90m plus. I use this as a PE 4-5 rod. I cant give you the exat name as the rod is in Perth and I am in Singapore. When I get back I can drop you the details.

Not caught any monsters on it, but have had quite a few GT's in the 10-15kg class with it. it would tame a sail easily (its too long for the boats in Rompin and too heavy for the fish too.

if I get that Bali trip sorted I'll bring it along.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I am a bit of a fan of Tenryu (jigging rods at least) Al and I think they are very under-rated.  I think a 9ft 6in rod for Tuna, Sailfish and light GT work would be pushing it though! Still would be great to have a swing with it of course. Cheers.

I am so far seriously looking at YAMAGA BLANKS Blue Sniper TUNA82/6 which seems like an excellent mid priced option, and being a Carpenter junkie, BC75MHS, although the short length is not ideal.
Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:02:15 AM by Mark Harris

Al Morrison

I know this might seem out of place, what with the constant mention of Ripple Fishers, Carpenters, Fisherman etc etc in this forum, but Shimano make a PE 5 Caranx Kaibatsu rod that is very reasonably priced, its obviously not top line, but i have the "light pleasure" (you have to like a rod with that name) and friends have both the surface and deep monsters and they all perform brilliantly. I think its called Pencil Popper or some such. Your rod list appears to preclude this but i throw it out there. The guys at Kaiser in Singapore are also making a range of rods (Il Toro) and they may have something worth looking at.

Although too light for your uses I use the Shimano LP's with a Twinpower 5000 with 42lb PE 3 or a Saltiga 4500 with PE 4 on it and yet again it blasts poppers up to the 100g like rockets. its too small for you though at 7ft 6 inches

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Al. Sadly Kaiser do not make a rod in this category. The nearest is their PE2-4 Sailfish Special but that would too light for what I am looking for.

I still have a Kaibutsu Surface Monster lurking in a cupboard :). Not really a fan. I have picked up a Light Pleasure in a store though and it seemed a nicer rod than the heavy ones in that range.

Jarrad Heritage

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Mark,
One of the rods I am bringing over is a OTI Tuna Sniper 3105-865
At least thats one other option you can cast your eyes over and have a play with this week.

Jarrad

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

Carpenter BC series has BC78HS if you like BC75MHS and prefer longer length. Both rods are built basically on the same blank and BC78HS has slightly softer tip. If available ;D.

There are many casting rods from many manufactures in this range but I'm not aware of any rod handles 100g popper as most of newer models are for stickbaites and relatively soft.....

Cheers,
Tak

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The only problem is getting hold of a 78HS!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

What about a Saltiga 80TN?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Mark

I currently still own and have used quite extensively 2 rods which might suit.  Both, I would instantly replace if ever broken - that is my guage of a good rod!

1) As already recommended, Saltiga 80 TN, balances nicely with the 8000 Stella / Saltiga 4500/5000, great with poppers up to 90 - 100 grams - even better as a stick bait rod up to the same size.
2) Temple Reef Stealth STK 76 (used to be Ocean Revolution).  This rod, at 7'6" is slightly shorter, lighter in weight, yet stiffer in the tip than the 80 TN and available at a better price.  Being slightly stiffer, I prefer it with the poppers in the same size, and use the 80 TN for stickbaits.  But both do an admirable job of either though.

In stock form, the 80TN has a slightly shorter butt length than the Stealth, which makes it a little quirky for casting (if you are used to GT length butts) - but the same shorter butt makes it a great surface stickbait rod particularly when working the rod tip down - (the rod but doesn't get in the way of arm pit and elbows as readily).

Cheers
Peter

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks to Tak, Peter, Jarrad, Joseph and Brandon.

On the Black Currents, I looked at the 78HS but as you say, it seems impossible to get. I can at least get hold of the BC75MHS but the length is still bugging me.

I do realise that the desire to be able to work 100 gram poppers might be pushing it with any of these rods.  It is though a less important consideration for me than stickbaits.

Jarrad, I really look forward to a swing with that OTI sniper.

The Saltiga 80TN is a very interesting option. Peter, Joseph, this is the exact model you refer to right?: http://www.7seasproshop.com/product_detail.php?keyword=daiwa_daiwa_saltiga_sg_dorado_80tn
Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:55:57 AM by Mark Harris

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Mark

I currently still own and have used quite extensively 2 rods which might suit.  Both, I would instantly replace if ever broken - that is my guage of a good rod!

1) As already recommended, Saltiga 80 TN, balances nicely with the 8000 Stella / Saltiga 4500/5000, great with poppers up to 90 - 100 grams - even better as a stick bait rod up to the same size.
2) Temple Reef Stealth STK 76 (used to be Ocean Revolution).  This rod, at 7'6" is slightly shorter, lighter in weight, yet stiffer in the tip than the 80 TN and available at a better price.  Being slightly stiffer, I prefer it with the poppers in the same size, and use the 80 TN for stickbaits.  But both do an admirable job of either though.

In stock form, the 80TN has a slightly shorter butt length than the Stealth, which makes it a little quirky for casting (if you are used to GT length butts) - but the same shorter butt makes it a great surface stickbait rod particularly when working the rod tip down - (the rod but doesn't get in the way of arm pit and elbows as readily).

Cheers
Peter

Ditto,

The 80TN Saltiga is very capable, good value and casts a range of lures - handled kings and YFT surprisingly well.  Would suit you're requirements / lure class etc.  I wish I never sold mine..
The Yamaga Blue Snipers are very nice.  I have the lighter PE4 (75/4) model, great for casting 40 - 70g lures.  I enjoy running a Certate 3500HD & 30lb but could go a larger reel and 40/50lb if the fish were bigger..

No doubt in you're location, you'll get a lot of use and enjoyment out of what ever you end up getting..

Cheers David 

Jamie Moir

Yeah that was a nice special on the STK-76 @ JDM, maybe saltywater has a special on them now? I think my blank was a bit over $100US. Just waiting on some k guides to build it up!

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
The Saltiga 80TN is a very interesting option. Peter, Joseph, this is the exact model you refer to right?: http://www.7seasproshop.com/product_detail.php?keyword=daiwa_daiwa_saltiga_sg_dorado_80tn

I have one of these and use it for metal slugs and stickbaits at around the 90g mark and have never had a problem, I use it landbased and can cast the thing a country mile. Excellent rod, I have a 4500 Catalina / PE 4 reel matched up to it and it balances perfectly.

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

That is the rod Mark. It is a great casting rod.