Mike_Tan

Split Rings
February 15, 2011, 08:02:03 PM
Bought a few packs of Varivas Power Ring in 200lb test yesterday and they were badly deformed when I tried to put a Decoy Pike 5/O into it :o Back in 2001/2002, I never had a Varivas open up on me even when I pushed great big Decoy trebles into it!! What is happening to the quality of Varivas split ring that I liked so much?! Are there any decent split rings out there that will return to its original form after you put a hook into it? Also tried Owner Hyper Wire in 220lb and they seem to deform a little but not as bad as the current Varivas rings :-\

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Split Rings
February 15, 2011, 08:11:42 PM
Mike, at times I have had some problems with just about all split rings when putting them onto big trebles like a ST76 5/0 or Gamakatsu Recorder. Patience and gently goes it is definitely the way, but I am sure you know that.

I think the most likely to keep its 'spring' and shape is the Decoy split. I usually use the #9 and #10 (200 and 250 lbs). Owner hyper wire in #10 and #11 (220 and 250 lbs) are cheaper, but almost as good alternatives.  Varivas I cannot say as I have never used them.

Kurt de Villiers

• Red Bass
  • go ugly early!
  • Liked:
February 15, 2011, 10:05:19 PM

interesting post people, had this little experience in the weekend, compliments of the gt's off point lookout.
Brand new Varivas Power Ring 300lb - left gaping! The pic does a bit a justice, but the gap between the turns was open enough that i could get that ST76 out, no probs!
still landed the fish, so i'm not complaining.
ta

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 15, 2011, 10:12:50 PM
Wow.... very good job getting the fish home with that sort of failure Kurt.

And crush down those barbs! :)

Aaron Concord

February 15, 2011, 10:16:29 PM
Krutch,

That is one sick looking split ring mate!
I guess that is the popper that got Shane's fish.

Mark,

I watched a client out in the Coral Sea deform a pack of #11 Hyperwire rings due to his apparent need to rig fast.  The Owner split ring pliers he used are my favourite as long as you take it slow and gentle, as you said!

Aaron.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 09:40:06 PM
Yeah patience is the key Aaron. First thing I do when with a deckie I do not know, is watch his first split ring opening. That determines whether he gets another chance with the pliers :).

Out of interest, Ten Mouth/NT do a 256 lb split ring which will be fantastic quality if their swivels are anything to go by.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 09:43:20 PM

interesting post people, had this little experience in the weekend, compliments of the gt's off point lookout.
Brand new Varivas Power Ring 300lb - left gaping! The pic does a bit a justice, but the gap between the turns was open enough that i could get that ST76 out, no probs!
still landed the fish, so i'm not complaining.
ta

Looks down-right defective! Wow!

Never had a prob with Varivas rings... Decoy are excellent...

Kurt de Villiers

• Red Bass
  • go ugly early!
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 10:40:02 PM
yeah, i've never had a glitch or prob with either decoy or varivas split rings, so i'm just gonna put this one down to 'beginner inexperience/no respect for other peoples gear/go hard or go shopping wit ya missus!
Btw, i wasn't the angler

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 12:43:20 PM
I tried Decoy for a while but found they deform a little easier than the owners so I switched back. Mainly use #10 and #11 and now avoid the #11H as the gauge is just too thick and they're frustrating to get on at times without deforming the ring.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 02:42:59 PM
Does anyone know whether the Decoys and Owners are coming out from the same factory? They sure look very similar
If it swims; I want to catch it!

AustralianAngling

February 17, 2011, 02:57:06 PM
That's why these days I usually use the BOUZ rings they open much easier and due to design have a high strength rating.

AustralianAngling

February 17, 2011, 03:02:43 PM
Bought a few packs of Varivas Power Ring in 200lb test yesterday and they were badly deformed when I tried to put a Decoy Pike 5/O into it :o Back in 2001/2002, I never had a Varivas open up on me even when I pushed great big Decoy trebles into it!! What is happening to the quality of Varivas split ring that I liked so much?! Are there any decent split rings out there that will return to its original form after you put a hook into it? Also tried Owner Hyper Wire in 220lb and they seem to deform a little but not as bad as the current Varivas rings :-\

Just out of interest where did you get the rings from ? Australia or overseas and also where did you get rings from in 2001 / 2002 this will help in check what stock it would be.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 03:14:46 PM
Those Bouz rings seem almost too good to be true :).

Mike_Tan

February 17, 2011, 03:35:09 PM
Hello there, I got my Varivas from PLAT in Japan during the 01/02 period and the current batch that deformed was from Singapore. However, I think the chap who had a 300lb Varivas Power Ring open on him probably got his elsewhere. I suspect a different company is making the Power Rings for Varivas now.

Like Mr. Harris said, the Bouz is too good to be true!!

AustralianAngling

February 17, 2011, 03:51:22 PM
Hello there, I got my Varivas from PLAT in Japan during the 01/02 period and the current batch that deformed was from Singapore. However, I think the chap who had a 300lb Varivas Power Ring open on him probably got his elsewhere. I suspect a different company is making the Power Rings for Varivas now.

Like Mr. Harris said, the Bouz is too good to be true!!

I will check with Japan but no change to my knowledge in manufacture.
It is easy to deform any of those rings with the size of some of the large hook eyes, that is why some version's have the faced sides on the eye so you do not need to stretch ring some much.