Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Twisted leader to bimimi connection
February 17, 2008, 10:19:27 AM
I've been getting a number of questions about exactly how you should connect the twisted leader to the bimimi loop. If you look in the thread on twisted leader instructions on Page 4 or 5, I think there is picture/diagram which Luke has put up which I think came from Che or Hal from Bluewater in Perth. This is a great illustration and really shows what is the simplest way of achieving this conenction. There are a number of different methods that are used (for example, the Nomad guides use a diferent loop system) but from my experience, I believe the Bluewater diagram is the fastest way of achieving the loop.

There are a few things which I suggest people using this connection system be aware of and I suppose you could call it a weakness or limitation of this system - but they can be compensated for.

• A lot of people have a problem in that one leg of the bimimi seems to be taking the load because one is tight and the other is loose. The way to avoid this is to hold the bimimi loop very tight as you pull the bimimi tight. It's ahrd to explain but if this doesn't make sense, I will try to get a photo of what I mean. if you have been having this problem, feel free to PM me
  • Be extremely careful where the bimimi connects to the twisted leader. Ideally, what you want is for the bimimi to pull tight around the twisted leader loop but not at the bottom of the loop. Allowing it bunch at the bottom of the loop is death - the bimimi will cut right through the twisted leader under load and bye bye GT and bye bye popper. I have attached a couple of photos of what I mean below. As you can see, the bimimi is grabbing around the twisted leader and not at the loop. I have seen numerous failures of twisted leaders over time and you'll know it has happened to you if you reel in a bimimi loop with no twisted leader when you lose a fish
  • Change your twisted leaders at the end of a long days fishing, especially if it has already taken the load of a few fish. This is a safety measure but it's the little things that count in this type of fishing - give yourself the best chance against a fish. It's better to go to the trouble of doing this than to lose a great fish

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Twisted leader to bimimi connection
February 17, 2008, 11:44:07 AM
Hi Brandon,
Great post as always.  The original twisted leader post is excellent also.  Miss formed knots will account for a large portion of terminal failures in any fishing situation, so thanks for pointing out some of the traps.  I find using these hand protectors pictured below helps tremendously in applying strong pressure to knots.  I believe Fisherman make a similar product too.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2008, 03:09:55 PM
Here is Che's Pic, it seems funny at first winding down one side but it finishes up as a neat connection as Brandons pic shows.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 18, 2008, 04:37:30 PM
I've been using the twisted leaders for a few years now. I don't really like to use a bimini and opt for a single strand braid to connect to the twistys.

I use an albright knot to connect and I've used it in NC last year without much problems. Will give it a go in Marion in may and see how it goes.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2008, 04:49:38 PM
Why the reluctance to use a bimini Chris?? Surely an albright in single strand braid is no where near as strong.

Chris Tan

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 18, 2008, 04:57:30 PM
I had the problem of the bimini loop getting caught on the 1st guide but I might try shortening it as Luke mentioned somewhere.......

Why the reluctance to use a bimini Chris?? Surely an albright in single strand braid is no where near as strong.

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 18, 2008, 09:58:19 PM
How long is your Binimi Chris?? I find if you tie it too long it does open up but if you tie it short there shouldn't be any problem, ie 30cm or shorter. I tie mine about 25cm and have not had any problem so far.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 18, 2008, 10:23:15 PM
Chris, I tie my bimimi about 15 -18cm long and I very rarely have a problem with the first guide.
If this worries you, you can shorten your twisted leader so that the bimimi is already partway through the first guide. of course, this also shortens the leader......

Steve Carruthers

February 20, 2008, 09:25:55 PM
Thanks for the info there Brandon. Just thought I'd ad a little of my own findings. Probably nothing new but will throw it up anyway. Most breaks in the main braid line happen just above the bimini and are probably due to strands damaged during twisting and tying. After testing a heap of "dry tied" biminis against "wet tied" biminis, very unscientifically mind you  ;D the biminis in which I'd wetted down the length of line with a bit of spit before tying broke at varying points along the main line, away from the knot. Like you said Brendon, little details = big fish haha.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 20, 2008, 10:35:11 PM
Steve, that is a very interesting observation. Conventional wisdom is that it is a good idea to wet your bimimis before tying them to prevent any friction damage of the braid but it seems like what you've experienced is that this seems to weaken the braid. Mmmmmm, interesting. I might do some testing on this.

Steve Carruthers

February 21, 2008, 07:21:15 PM
Howdy Brandon, what I was trying to say there is that the dry tied biminis usually break near the knot due to some friction damage as you said. But the wet tied biminis' main line broke at varying points away from the knot ie no friction damage. Sorry I wasn't very clear there.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 21, 2008, 10:42:50 PM
Thank you - that is consistent with conventional wisdom

GIANTTREVALLY

March 02, 2008, 07:15:43 PM
I've been getting a number of questions about exactly how you should connect the twisted leader to the bimimi loop. If you look in the thread on twisted leader instructions on Page 4 or 5, I think there is picture/diagram which Luke has put up which I think came from Che or Hal from Bluewater in Perth. This is a great illustration and really shows what is the simplest way of achieving this conenction. There are a number of different methods that are used (for example, the Nomad guides use a diferent loop system) but from my experience, I believe the Bluewater diagram is the fastest way of achieving the loop.

There are a few things which I suggest people using this connection system be aware of and I suppose you could call it a weakness or limitation of this system - but they can be compensated for.

• A lot of people have a problem in that one leg of the bimimi seems to be taking the load because one is tight and the other is loose. The way to avoid this is to hold the bimimi loop very tight as you pull the bimimi tight. It's ahrd to explain but if this doesn't make sense, I will try to get a photo of what I mean. if you have been having this problem, feel free to PM me
  • Be extremely careful where the bimimi connects to the twisted leader. Ideally, what you want is for the bimimi to pull tight around the twisted leader loop but not at the bottom of the loop. Allowing it bunch at the bottom of the loop is death - the bimimi will cut right through the twisted leader under load and bye bye GT and bye bye popper. I have attached a couple of photos of what I mean below. As you can see, the bimimi is grabbing around the twisted leader and not at the loop. I have seen numerous failures of twisted leaders over time and you'll know it has happened to you if you reel in a bimimi loop with no twisted leader when you lose a fish
  • Change your twisted leaders at the end of a long days fishing, especially if it has already taken the load of a few fish. This is a safety measure but it's the little things that count in this type of fishing - give yourself the best chance against a fish. It's better to go to the trouble of doing this than to lose a great fish

can someone give me instruction or diagram on how to make this knot. i do know how to do the twisted leader but how do I make the connection

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2008, 07:32:28 PM
I'll try - insert the twisted leader loop through the eye of the twisted leader
Spread the loop of the twisted leader and then wind four or five loops of the twisted lader around one leg of the bimimi
Pull it tight as described in my original post on this thread

There is actually a useful diagrama round somewhere. Does anyone know where we can find this?

btw, welcome to the site, GiantTrevally. If you don't mind, could you please amend your user name to your real name. We request this of all members on this site.

thank you

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2008, 08:07:24 PM
This one?

Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:10:07 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt