Matt Shaw

Studio ocean mark 16000 spool problems
July 10, 2013, 06:13:58 PM
I was hoping for some advice? Is the clicker spring on the SOM no limits 16000 spool chewing at the radiator unit a common problem and is this normal? I have unscrewed the radiator unit and found it to be full of metal shavings where the clicker spring is cutting a channel in it? it seems to me to be a bit of inaccuracy in the machining of the parts, is there anything I can do about this? and is it anything to be concerned about? Any help or info would be greatly appreaciated as finding people with knowledge of these spools is an absolute nightmare.
  Also I have added some pictures of the damaged part, all this spool has done is been spooled with PE8 once,(not seen water). Personally I think it should not be like this, and its not as smooth as the standard 10000 shimano spool.

Kind Regards Matt. 

Felix Neuer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Studio ocean mark 16000 spool problems
July 10, 2013, 07:11:20 PM
looks strange.
I just serviced three SOM spools a few weeks ago, and we had 3 broken clicker springs.
took the broken parts out and therefore we have no click anymore, but I don't care.
would suggest you do the same.

Matt Shaw

July 10, 2013, 08:39:08 PM
Hi mate, yes I took out the spring and it seems to work ok, but for a top of the line spool I would not expect that? did the spools you serviced show signs of wear to the radiator?
  They don't seem to be as good a product as people say if you have to mess about with them from day one,

Sean Costello

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 11, 2013, 09:19:44 AM
I think there is alot of mystique surrounding the som spools, I dont rate these spools for the price tag personally, their biggest asset was their extra line capicity in the 16000 size for sure. My spool has always given me greif with the drag engaging properly when it is taken off and on the reel. They are inferior to the original stella spool drags in terms of smoothness which comes down to the fact that a stack drag will never compare with the stella's twin keyed carbon washers. There is no doubt the SOM 16000 had more drag than the 10000sw, but I think the new 14000xg spool is the way to go now that they have upgraded the drag system similar to the 18000.

Sean

Felix Neuer

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 11, 2013, 10:48:06 PM
our spools where fine, apart from the broken springs, but where not fished that much to be honest.
mine will have to work hard the next 2 month. will report how they survive the various trips.