Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
We have been very lucky to over the years to have worked very closely with Shimano on various levels from being customers to dealers and now to be involved in Field Testing Shimano products. Shimano has been a brand that I have used all of my fishing career and it is in my opinion the best fishing brand on the market.

With us fishing in a unique part of the world with monster GTs, high salinity and temperatures, Shimano has asked us to help Field Test products and give the products as much stick as possible and report back! For us this is a great honour to have been asked to help field test and it is really great to see and test products before they become available on the market. Now after a few months the Saragosa has been launched so we can post about the Field Test. For this test we were sent the new Saragosa SW 20000 and 10000. When the models were sent we were coming to the end of our season but we did do a couple of trips up to the Musandam Northern Oman to test the reels and we were quite surprised by the reels. The first thing is you cannot compare any reel to a Stella as it is the best. So you have to clear the mind and use the reel for its intended use and market. I paired the 20000 with a Carpenter Monster Hunter 80H with PE8 Sunline Monster and the 10000 I paired up with the Carpenter Endless Passion 85/36 with PE6 Sunline Monster.

I use Stella on all my GT reels so it was a different feel to be using the Saragosa's but after a few casts and feeling the reel out I got used to the reel and started to fish properly. A few things that I felt is that the retrieve ratio was a bit slower and also the drag was now where near a Stella, but this is obvious as it is about a USD300 reel (not sure market price) and not a USD1,000 reel. I managed to catch a few GTs but mainly smaller fish. Then on one of the last days of our liveaboard trip I hooked up to a decent fish and the fish took off like wild fire and with the looser drag I had to palm the fish to get it under control, but once the fish was under control it was a good fight and with the lighter drag it was really good fun. I landed a nice 122cm GT on the 20000

Then on the 10000 I hooked up to what I thougth was a fair sized fish in a very strong 5 knot current with some decent sized swell. The fish took in shallow water and did a big run with the current into deeper water. On the 10000 with PE6 I let the reel take all the pressure and did not touch the reel. I got the fish under control and fought the fish back to the boat letting the reel do all of the work. I got up a nice smaller GT that was hooked in the side of the head and hence the strong runs. A nice smaller GT on the 10000 and really enjoyed the fight. This is a small video I made of the fight on the 10000

In all I think they are 2 great entry level GTs reels. I feel their retrieve ratio is slower but when I thought about it this reel can also be used for jigging. This would mean that if you wanted to start GT fishing or you only fish for GTs in a blue moon this would be a cost effective reel to use and has enough power to land decent fish. But the beauty of this reel is that you could also use it for jigging and so you could have one reel doing to styles of fishing. I would not fish for GTs everyday with it but I was pleasantly surprised and will recommend this to someone wanting to enter the world of GT fishing but can't buy a Stella.

We look forward to testing a heap on new products in Southern and Northern Oman this coming season! We started our season very early in Musandam yesterday in 45 DegreeC heat! But the fish have arrived early and fish wait for no man!! If you are looking for a monster GT trip with Oman's original and biggest GT Operation give Jon a shout at [email protected]

Cheers,
Nick

GT peeling off line on the hit and first run!

All smiles with the fish under control!

Putting the reel to the test and putting the pressure

A decent Musandam GT 122cm

Saragosa SW 20000 does the job!

Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:14:47 PM by Nick Bowles

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Nick
Thanks for this review, very useful.
These may be just the ticket for a back up reel and or a jigging outfit for those that prefer popping to Jigging (I fall directly into this category).
The only thing that remains is to see what the actual local pricing will be, my feeling is that if approximates to half a Stella / Saltiga or Catalina I may save up for the top of the line (currently in RSA Saragosa come in at around 25% to 30% of the Stella's)
I see that there will be a 25000 as well.
Cheers

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Howzit Mark! Many thanks, there is definitely no substitute for a Stella but I think as an entry level or as a back up rather than spending the money if not available it will be a good option. I recon it will come in half the price if not less than the Stella. The Gosa 20000 is a massive reel and way bigger than a Stella 20000 I recon you can spool 400yards PE8! So a 25000 will most probably be Styella 30000 size!!

Cheers,
Nick

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Looks like we have a viable and more affordable option for GT reels with the new Saragosa.
What are the gear ratios on the reels, Nick?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon, the reels are definitely an option for an entry level GT reel, its not a Stella but I think by the look and feel that Shimano have gone for Durability rather than a high gear ratio or light weight. It is a heavy reel but feels a lot sturdier. Not sure of the gear ratio but as a guess it feels like 1-4.8 something in this region? But it does have a big spool so will pick up quite a bit of line per crank.

There is a possibility of a high speed version as I understand which will be very interesting.

Cheers,
Nick